Basic Fried Rice w/Tofu
I used tofu because I’ve been on a marinated tofu kick, but this dish would also be great with pork or chicken. Those vegetarians are such a bad influence. (You know who you are.)
1 cup uncooked white rice (I used basmati)
1 ¾ cup water
splash of vegetable oil
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 pckg marinated tofu (I used Teriyaki flavored), cubed
2 eggs beaten
4-5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
¼ cup onion, coarsely chopped
3 cups bok choy or savoy cabbage
¼ cup frozen peas, thawed to room temp
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1. Cook rice in a medium stock pot. Set aside when finished.
2. Add 1 Tbsp oil to wok (or really big pan) and fry tofu cubes until nice and crispy. Set aside.
3. Soft scramble the eggs in the oil that's left over in the pan. Set aside.
4. Put remaining 2 Tbsp oil in pan and sauté garlic and onion for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté an additional 3-5 minutes. I added a splash of beer to deglaze and cooked it off for another minute or so.
5. Add rice to pan, cook for 1 minute. Add soy sauce and sesame oil, cook for an additional minute, then stir in egg, peas, and tofu.
Very easy, very addictive.