Summer Squash Soup
serves about 6 people (great for leftovers)
1 ½ cups finely chopped onion
½ cup chopped carrot
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried tarragon
2 cups farfalle (bowtie) pasta, uncooked
about 4-5 cups thinly sliced summer squash
6 cups chicken stock
3 cups water
¼ cup fresh basil
fresh black pepper
parmesan cheese for topping
1. Saute onion and carrot until just tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add oregano and tarragon, stir for 30 seconds.
3. Add water, chicken stock, pasta. Simmer until pasta is cooked, about 8-10 minutes.
4. Add squash, additional veggies if desired*, simmer for 5 minutes or until squash is tender.
5. Stir in fresh basil and black pepper. Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
*Note: Throw in zucchini, beans, spinach or any other veggies you find hanging around. I threw in a cup green beans that were feeling lonely in the crisper.
I served this soup with Zucchini Pancakes with Basil Cream, a recipe I found on Epicurious. I highly recommend it, and the pancakes will disappear quickly.
Post a Comment